Tuesday, November 6, 2012

these deals end soon!


Many of you asked me to share how I managed to get $52 in groceries for a mere $12 in change. Well, dear friends, here you have it:

This week (through Thursday) Shaws has General Mills cereal on sale for $1.75 a box (select varieties, and you must buy four boxes to qualify for the savings). Typically, Lucky Charms are $4.29 a box and Cinnamon Toast Crunch is $3.59 a box. I bought:

Two boxes of General Mills Lucky Charm Cereal
Two boxes of General Mills Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal
 
I then used the following coupons:

One $1.00/2 boxes of General Mills Cereal
Two $0.60/1 box of General Mills Cinnamon Toast Crunch (which doubles to $1.20 at Shaws! Shaws doubles coupons up to $0.99 and will take four like coupons per transaction.)

So, four boxes at retail would total $16.76. But since I got four boxes, and used my Shaws Reward Card, I got them for $1.75 a box. Then, subtract my coupons: $1.00 off two boxes, $0.60 off one box (doubles to $1.20) and another coupon for $0.60 off one box (also doubles) leaving me with a total of $5.00 for four boxes!

I also bought six bags of Birds Eye Steamfresh Vegetables. They are originally $1.99 per bag but are on sale this week 3 for $5.00. There's also a promotion going on. If you buy three bags, you get three more free! So I printed our four $0.35/1 Birds Eye Coupons here (which double to $0.70 each). I only printed four because Shaws only accepts four of the same coupon during each shopping trip.

Six bags of Birds Eye veggies at retail value would be $11.94. With the promotion and my four coupons (which doubled) I only paid $2.20!

Shaws also had Betty Crocker products on sale. If you bought 5, you got a dozen free eggs. I didn't need eggs, but I did need a few cookie mixes for upcoming holiday parties. So I bought two 17.5oz bags of cookie mix and one box of muffin mix.

The muffin mix is originally $2.99, but was on sale for $2.50. I used a $0.60/1 muffin mix coupon (which doubled to $1.20) and paid only $1.30!

The two cookie mixes are originally $2.79 each on sale for $2.00. I used two $0.60/1 cookie mix coupons (which double to $1.20) and paid only $1.60 for two mixes!

My hubby prefers a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast each morning, so I snagged some Philadelphia Cream Cheese on sale for $1.99 (usually $2.99). I had a coupon for $0.50/1 (which doubled to $1.00) and only paid $0.99.

Eric also loves V8 Fusion (it's the only way to get his fruits and veggies in). They came out with a new flavor and it just so happened to be on sale for $2.00 a bottle (usually $3.99 each). That's the lowest prince I had ever seen. So even though I didn't have a coupon, I snatched them up.

I also had three coupons for free El Monterrey Burritos that a co-worker gave me (we trade unused coupons). They are priced at $1.39 each and were on sale for $1.00 each. With my coupons, they were free!

And lastly, I got the toothpaste free at Rite Aid this week. You get special discounts, deals and promotions when you sign up for their store rewards card. The Colgate Total was on sale for $3.50 each. I had a coupon for $0.75/1 (sorry, Rite Aid doesn't double!), so I got them for $2.75 each. But here's the kicker. I had $6 in UP+ reward money, so I used it to pay for the toothpaste. And because they were running a special on the toothpaste, I got $6 UP+ rewards back (making them free)!


Well, there you have it!

Retail Value:  $51.41
I Paid: $12.84
Total Saved: $38.57 (75%)

I got the majority of this week's coupons at www.coupon.com. For more information about the lingo you see here or to learn more about store rewards, see the Getting Started page for the A-B-C's of couponing. We'll get into greater detail in the coming weeks.

Happy shopping!

0 comments:

Post a Comment